Aftermath of fiery motorcycle crash in Mission Valley caught

A motorcyclist killed in a fiery collision on Interstate 8 in Mission Valley was identified Friday as a 22-year-old active-duty member of the military.

The motorcyclist, a man whose name and branch of military service were withheld, was pronounced dead at 4:28 p.m. Thursday on eastbound I-8 at Mission Center Road, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office.
Less than a half-hour earlier, he crashed his eastbound motorcycle into a car and both vehicles became engulfed in flames, the California Highway Patrol reported.

Passers-by stopped and performed CPR on the downed rider before the arrival of paramedics. The cause of death was multiple blunt force injuries, according to the ME's Office, which reported that the man lived in San Diego County.
No other injuries were reported.Bay Area resident Andrew Brandon happened to have his smartphone with him on the ninth floor of the Sheraton in Mission Valley right after the crash occurred.

He said he couldn't believe what was happening right before his eyes and felt compelled to share with 10News what he shot."I don't know; I felt that this footage had to be seen," Brandon told 10News reporter Preston Phillips.

In Brandon's video, right after impact, the driver of the car is seen running down the freeway, away from the crash. Seconds later, a driver stopped to help, dragging the unresponsive motorcyclist away from the flames.
"There's a lot of people that, you know, went above and beyond … there's other people that tried to put the car out, there's people yelling at them that they're in danger, there's lots of people in danger. I mean, just even bystanders driving by could have potentially been in danger," said Brandon.
While emergency crews tended to the motorcyclist, others consoled the driver of the car, who was visibly shaken up.

"Never thought after a long day of work at Powers Engineering that I would come and see this," said Brandon.Witnesses told officers that the motorcyclist was weaving across the road, possibly trying to merge onto nearby I-805, at speeds of up to about 100 mph just prior to the collision.The crash left the entire eastbound side of the freeway blocked in the area for a time, snarling rush-hour traffic.

Aftermath of fiery motorcycle crash in Mission Valley caught